UHill Elementary PAC
Meeting Minutes – November 18, 2013
1. Meeting called to order – 9:10 a.m.
2. Motion to adopt Minutes of October meeting – Moved: Helen , Seconded: Kathy, Approved unanimously.
Co-Chairs: Tim Dow, Denise Lauritano; Treasurer: Christine Wang; Secretary: Sharon Yu.
School Planning Council: Janet Fang, Helen Gabor, and Nancy Brown.
Principal: Val Coopersmith, Vice Principal: Ankie Carswell.
Other attendees: Kathy, Fariba, Veronica, Daiqing, Adele, and Stephanie.
4. PAC Executive Reports: (Tim, Denise, Christine, Sharon)
• School Planning Council: Janet Fang, Helen Gabor, and Nancy Brown nominated.
o Motion to elect SPC as nominated – Moved: Sharon, Seconded: Denise, Approved unanimously.
• Direct Appeal: Raised $6,230
o Each classroom Teacher (19 divisions plus Resource Team, Computer Teacher, and Teacher Librarian) to receive $200 to be spent on classroom resources by March 2014
o School Admin to spend $1,830 on school wide resources (including a new school camera)
o Motion to Direct Appeal Funding – Moved: Denise, Seconded: Kathy, Approved unanimously.
• Grocery Card Sales:
o Save-On-Foods: Bought $33,000, Sold $17,750, Remain $15,250
o Safeway: Bought $12,000, Sold $7,500, Remain $4,500
o Choices: Bought $2,400, Sold $2,400, Remain –
o Grocery cards are ready to be picked up at the office, and the remaining will be sold through the second run in March/April 2014. Thanks to Veronica and her group for such a great job!
• Walk ‘n Roll: Continue in November, contact Ofira Roll if your kids would like to join the walking bus.
• Garden Committee update: For details, see blog: http://uhillgarden.wordpress.com
• Young Naturalists Club update: Now calling for parent volunteers, please contact by Dec. 1, 2013 and thanks for your support! Program runs in April, May of 2014 for 30 students. See YNC blog at: http://uheync.wordpress.com
5. Principal’s Report (Val and Ankie)
• Please have look at the entrance to the school (by school office) the Information Board that details Special Events, General Information, PAC, and School Athletics.
• Halloween celebrations were all week at University Hill School. Students and staff had a great time.
• Remembrance Day assembly on Friday November 8th was a wonderful community school celebration with many classes participating and a special Honor Guard. Thank you to Lieutenant Corporal Harjeet SaijanPiper Corporal Thomas Budd
• Metis day event November 27 (all day in the gym) dance workshop for students.
• SOS Fundraiser Family Night on December 5 @ 5:30 to 7:30pm
• Winter concert December 19@ 6:00pm
• Band concert grade 6/7 December 10 @ 6:30pm
• Middle Years Inventory (MDI) grade 4 students will be invigilated on November 26 by classroom teachers and school administrators.The Middle Years Development Instrument (MDI) was first implemented with grade 4 students in Vancouver in 2009. Since then it has been completed by over 14,000 grade 4 students. 2012 to 2013 was the first year of the implementation of the grade 7 survey.
• The MDI asks children to report on five dimensions that are critical components of development and strongly linked to well being, health, academic achievement, and success throughout the school years and in later life:Social and emotional developmentPhysical health and well-beingConnectedness to adult and peersSchool experiencesUse of after-school time
• MDI Grade 7 report just came in and will be sent out to parents electronically within the next week.
• Volleyball season has now started. Coaches are Sean (Senior girls) and Mike (Junior girls)
• Walk and Roll happy to see it continue for the remainder of this week 🙂
• Volunteer Guidelines: New policy requirements from VBEAll adults, including parents, that would like to Volunteer at the school must sign a Volunteer Conduct Agreement before doing so. You may pick up a form at the office and please return it to the office. If volunteers are under the supervision of the teacher or other UHill staff member then a criminal record check is not required.
• Teacher collaboration, in addition to Resource Teachers, in grade groups started this month. Teachers will be working on school goals, curriculum, resources, assessment, common field trips, special events and celebrations.
• Administrators are meeting with district staff on December 5 regarding Norma Rose Point school and the catchment. There is a meeting scheduled for parents on Wednesday January 23rd at UHill School (6:30pm).
• School Planning Council members Janet, Helen, Nancy. Thank you for volunteering!
6. New Business:
• Norma Rose Point Meeting: Val scheduled meeting for Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm at UHill Elem. For those who have questions regarding the new school, please forward your concerns to us, or you can attend the meeting and speak for yourself.
• Bus Program: Looking for sponsors to continue the bus program next year for UHill Elementary, discussion will be continued.
• Funding for a specialized PE program (Floorball from K to Grade 7), requested $3,000 to run the program, parents will pay for the usage.
• Traffic Safety: Upgrades complete on 16th Ave. Still 2 lane crossings. Chancellor Blvd. Also need some attention.
• Interested in inviting Evening speakers (VSB, BCTF resources). Please contact Tim Dow.
7. Adjournment. Moved: Seconded: Adjourned:
Next PAC Meetings: Jan. 20, Feb. 17, Apr. 14, May 12 (AGM)