Walk ‘N Roll to School!
UTown@UBC and the University Neighbourhoods Association have teamed up to promote healthy, active transportation in our community! So lace up your walking shoes, jump on your skateboard, bike or scooter and Walk ‘n Roll to School!
Why Walk ‘n Roll to School?
Walking and riding to school are safe, fun ways to commute and are simple steps that families can take to have fun and contribute to a healthier, more sustainable community by getting active reducing the number of cars on the road.
Walk ‘n Roll to School Celebration Week: May 27th -31st, 2013
Celebrate active transportation as a community during Walk ‘N Roll to School Celebration Week May 27th-31st! From bike tune-ups to a walking school bus to prizes, there will be lots of fun activities, great giveaways and safety initiatives throughout the week to motivate students to choose active transportation!
· Pre-Celebration Week Bike Tune-ups: Keep your bike in tip-top shape with a little help from More Bikes. They’ll be at University Hill Elementary School at lunch on May 23rd and at University Hill Secondary School at lunch on May 24th to help with tune-ups.
· Walk’n Roll Kick Off: Wear yellow on Monday, May 27th to show your support for walking and biking! UHill Elementary and UHill Secondary students wearing yellow can pick up a treat at lunch from the Walk’n Roll team!
· Walk’n Roll Passport and Prize Draw: UHill Elementary and Secondary School students can collect a stamp for each day you walk or ride to school. Hand in your passport at school on Friday, May 31st to be entered to win great prizes! Check out the UTown@UBC School Routes map to find out where to get your passport stamped each morning.
· Walking School Bus: Walking School Busses led by community volunteers will be available from each neighbourhood to University Hill Elementary School every morning from May 27th through May 31st. Meeting locations and times are included on the UTown@UBC School Routes map. Click here for details.
· RCMP Speed Watch: Speeders beware! The RCMP will be out enforcing traffic speed zones, so slow down and drive safely!
· Crossing Monitors: Community volunteers will be present at the mid-block crossing on West 16th Avenue between Wesbrook Mall and East Mall and on Chancellor Boulevard at Hamber before and after school to help students practice safe crossing behaviour.
· Roundabout Guides: Staff will be at the roundabout after school on Monday, May 27th to help students practice safely crossing a roundabout.
· Safe Cycling: Join us at lunch on May 27th at UHill Elementary School and on May 29th at UHill Secondary School for a bike safety workshop from HUB: Your Cycling Connection instructors.
· Walk’n Roll Celebration Rally: On May 31st we will cap off a great week with healthy snacks and prize raffles for Walk’n Roll Passport participants. Don’t forget to bring your stamped Walk’n Roll passport in order to be entered for some great prizes! The rally will take place at recess at UHill Elementary School and at lunch at UHill Secondary School.