The Vancouver School Board’s District Management Team released a prospectus (a high level summary of a proposal) for new schools within the UBC/UEL neighbourhoods they would like to present to the Ministry on January 30, 2009 for approval.
A copy of the prospectus can be found at VSB’s website. The link to the prospectus can be found at the bottom of the page.
- New secondary for grades 9-12 at the old NRC site on East Mall and 16th Ave.
Completion is planned for March 2011
- New elementary at the current UHill Secondary site on Acadia Rd with 2 wings: K-5; 6-8
Completion for 6-8 wing is planned for March 2011; construction will be done at the same time as the new secondary school.
K-5 wing will begin construction after the secondary school students move to their new school.
- Current UHill Elementary will be changed to a K-5 school with a 380-student capacity.
- Students who will be in Grade 8 in September 2010 will move on to the new secondary school in March 2011.
- No details yet as to where the students will come from when the new Gr 6-8 wing is ready in March 2011.
- The prospectus is published now to give parents a chance to read the proposal before 2 planned meetings in January. On January 8th, 2009, a meeting will be held at the school at 9:00 am to give parents an opportunity to get more information and to ask questions. A representative of the VSB’s District Management Team will be at the meeting.
- On January 12 at 8:00 pm, a community meeting will be held at the Old Barn Community Centre to give community residents an opportunity to get more information and to ask questions. A representative from the VSB’s District Management Team will be at the meeting.
- The January 30, 2009 target date to present a proposal to the Ministry is an important one. Due to the upcoming provincial election, it is important that VSB be able to present their proposal before the government goes into election mode. Once the election is called, the Ministry will not be able to consider VSB’s proposal until after the election is over.
Again, the 2 meetings will be held on:
January 8, 2009 at 9:00 am
University Hill Elementary, Staff room
January 12, 2009 at 8:00 pm
Old Barn Community Centre
6305 Thunderbird Blvd