HI everyone, please take a minute to a) read Angela’s (one of our fellow parents) email, and b) send your feedback to VSB.. or ask more questions and then send your feedback! – Jen
As many of you know, there is a proposal to restructure UHill to a K-7 school. At the moment its still a proposal that will go to a vote, and this is the time to have our thoughts and opinions heard, if we have any. The main idea is that there will be 2 more grades (6 & 7), and the school population will go up to 400 students.
I went to the meeting yesterday to learn more about the plan, and also listened to discussions amongst the UHill teachers and staff. I think its really important that we provide feedback to give the decision makers a clear picture of our children’s rich learning experiences at UHill, and how this change may impact them. Here are some areas for consideration that I understood yesterday, that I think we all need to be aware of…
1. The Garden room (often used for baking, cooking, special projects and hanging out on wet days), the music room, the computer lab and the STEM room will be reconverted back into classrooms. (I am especially bummed that we won’t have a centralized music room anymore). The value that these spaces have added to enriching our kid’s learning is not trivial, and will be affected. Less flexible space means that it may be a bit harder for teachers to include something different (like cooking, baking, activities that require space away from desks) into their teaching. Something to consider is that such enrichment spaces are built into the design of a new school like Norma Rose, so they will continue to have them, and they won’t be converted into classrooms.
2. While we have spare classrooms (which is why it was deemed that we were “under capacity” and can take in more students and grades), the common areas (e.g., lunch room, gym-especially during concerts) are pretty full now. Staff will probably have to be creative with scheduling different times to reduce overcrowding.
3. Parking and traffic will likely become more problematic when there are more families. (There used to be school buses when UHill was K-7 – perhaps this is something we can suggest?)
These are my own thoughts and observations. I love this school and the teachers here and I think the world needs to know what makes it special :).
I would like to encourage everyone to fill in the feedback forms available at the office, I want to think it will make a difference towards VSB’s efforts to preserve the quality of our kids lives here even if they do still decide to make this change.
Feedback forms need to be in by May 21st
, which does not leave much time. If you can’t come in to pick up a form, you can send your opinion to email@example.com
. Below are the questions on the form, which you can just copy and paste in an email:
1. Do you feel informed of the proposed change? Y/N
2. Do you feel you or your family would be positively impacted by the proposed change? Y/N
Do you support the proposed change? Y/N
Comments and feedback regarding the proposed grade structure for University Hill Elementary:
Thanks for taking the time to read this! And I am happy to chat if you have any questions.
Angela Low (UHE Parent)